Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Featured Artist: Batgirl Designs


As a fellow bat lover, I was destined to find the Etsy shop, Batgirl Designs. Alex sells the coolest bat themed ice cream/coffee sleeves. And her newest products, Sugar Gliders and Bat Sachets are super cute!! We became fast friends and needless to say, I purchased several of her batty products for my ever growing bat collection---->

I have an ice cream and coffee fetish and they are so cute that I almost hate to use them for their intended purpose! I have my eye on a few others such as her Absinthe Bat which will fit nicely with my existing all year long Halloween decor in my home. :)

I got a chance to throw a few questions her way:

1. How did you get started in crafting?

My mom taught me everything I know about crafting, she's the next Martha Stewart. She taught me how to sew and she helped me to create the bat cup sleeves I sell and we still colaborate on new ideas and craft together all the time! :)

2. Describe your studio/craft area.

My studio/craft are is pretty much an organized disaster zone. I know where everything is and how high it can be piled and pushed into drawers, but it looks like a total mess! lol

3. How does your muse provide you with ideas?

Well, my muse would be all of my family and friends. I bounce ideas off of them all the time and get their opinions and they usually give me ideas and advice, either directly or inadvertently! :) When I go fabric/craft shopping, seeing all the new and cool fabric and add ons really inspires me! :)

4. When life is not consumed by crafting, what else keeps you busy?

Pretty much my life is consumed with either schoolwork, movies or crafting. I'm an anthropology major at UCSC and I'm working on a minor or History of Art and Visual Culture. Homework, memorizing, studying and reading for both of those classes really takes up all my time. I also love to go to the theater with my boyfriend or spend nights in my apartment watching movies and TV shows like Buffy or Dexter! :)

5. What do you consider the coolest thing you ever made?

Hmmmm... that's a tough one! I think the coolest things I've made are some of my custom orders, but I love my Yeti bat cup sleeve as well as my travel sewing kit which is coming to my shop soon! :)

6. Pretend you have magical powers, how do you see your ideal future (art or otherwise)?

I see my future as being a bat rehabilitator or a bat zoo keeper and still doing my crafts and hopefully being a successful bat cup sleeve/craft seller! :)

7. Lastly, If you had a pet bat, what would you name him/her? ;)

Wow that is a tough question, you have me stumped. I guess I would have to see the personality of the adorable bat and then decide lol


Check her out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment